The Bells of St Clement's

A peal of six bells (tenor – 12cwt) is rung by our ringing team for Sunday morning services, weddings and other special services and occasions.

There is a weekly practice on Wednesdays from 7:30pm to 8:30pm and ringing at church services on Sundays from 10.00 am to 10.25am. Both beginners and experienced ringers are welcome.

After an overhaul, these bells were installed in St Clement’s Tower, and rang out for the first time for Easter 1990.

They then remained silent until their dedication on Sunday, May 20th 1990, in the presence of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, as Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports.

The bells were cast in 1818 by Thomas Mears at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. They have retained their original inscriptions, although their Sandwich donors are commemorated on brass plaques fixed to the bellframe beside each appropriate bell.

New ringers are always welcome to come and try out, for more information please speak to our Tower Captain Martin Thorley, 07968 065123.